11063

AN INTERESTING SET OF SIX PORCELAIN PALETTE PLATES

Limoges, With Decoration Applied by the Keramisch Chemische Werke, Teplitz. Circa 1910.

Measurements

Diameter: 9" (23 cm).

Research:
Of porcelain. Each of five plates with graded, enumerated concentrically arranged color samples. The sixth plate inscribed “Keramisch Chemische Werke Teplitz.” The reverse marked A. Pillivuyt, Limoges; one plate marked to the reverse: Toutes les couleurs sont fusibles; four plates marked to the reverse with alphabetic key to the colors on the front of the plates, with corresponding chart as follows:
f. = fusible.
t. = tender.
d. – dur.
o. = p. bord.
x. = p. impression.
l. = p. lytographie
p.f. = p. fonds

Marked with date in Roman numerals MDCCCCX. Three very small repairs to edge of one plate.

Marks:
See above.

This interesting set of six plates was made at the Pillivuyt manufactory at Foëcy-Limoges, but was specially decorated at the Keramische Chemische Werke of Teplitz circa 1910. The firm was founded in 1818 by Jean Louis Richard Pillivuyt, in Foëcy, an area in central France well suited to porcelain production due to the closely available natural resources of water, forests, and the recently-discovered kaolin clay deposits at Limoges. By 1884 Pillivuyt had established another factory in Mehun-sur-Yèvre, as well as shops in Paris and London, and the firm won various gold medals for its wares at the International Exhibitions in New York (1823) and Paris (1878 and 1889). It was a common practice for Limoges to send their plain white porcelain wares to outside painters for decoration, and the area of Teplitz (in the nothern region of what was formerly Bohemia and is today the Czech Republic) was home to numerous ceramic houses.

Full research report available on request.

Full research report available on request.