English. Circa 1863.


Height: 43 3/4” (111 cm)
Width: 28” (71 cm)
Depth: 19 1/2" (49 cm).

Of maple. The cabinet with two doors containing a total of twelve color lithographs, behind glass panes, and raised on brass casters. The interiors fitted with two side by side drawers at the top above four shelves.

This interesting side cabinet has been decorated with colorful lithographs of various decorative art objects, contained behind panes of glass on both the exterior and interior doors. The panels on the front and back of the cabinet doors are taken from J. B. Waring’s “Masterpieces of Industrial Art and Sculpture at the [London] International Exhibition, 1862” (Day & Son, 1863), a three-volume set comprising 300 color plates. The selected illustrations include porcelain vases and plates, mainly by royal manufactories of Meissen, Copenhagen, Berlin, St. Petersburg and Paris, and from English potteries, as well as Viennese cloth and paper hangings. Inside the cabinet are six grisaille prints depicting a selection of sculptures shown at the same 1862 exhibition.

John Burley Waring (1823-1875) was an English architect and artist who, in his early years, studied in London, Italy, Spain and Paris, where he refined his skills as a draughtsman and produced works such as “Designs for Civic Architecture” (circa 1850) and “The Arts Connected with Architecture in Central Italy” (1858). Waring was involved with a number of the 19th century world’s fairs. He produced four guide books to the courts of the Crystal Palace for the Great Exhibition of 1851 in conjunction with Sir Matthew Digby Wyatt, and served as superintendent of the works of ornamental art and sculpture in the Manchester Exhibition in 1857. In 1862 he was appointed superintendent of the architectural gallery and of the classes for furniture, earthenware, and glass, goldsmiths’ work and jewellery, and objects used in architecture at the International Exhibition, for which he published the aforementioned “Masterpieces of Industrial Art and Sculpture…”

Waring’s volume was published by Day & Son, lithographers to the Queen and one of the most prominent lithographic firms of the mid-19th century. The firm was founded in 1823 by William Day, and on his death in 1845 was left to his son of the same name. They held the unique position in Britain of both printmaking and publishing books, many of which contained their own plates. Day & Son’s chromo-lithograhy display won a prize medal in the Fine Arts Court at the Great Exhibition of 1851, and they exhibited at the 1862 exhibition as well, where the firm was praised for displaying “the finest work ever produced in this style…The printing of these works is equally perfect, the register of the colours is true to a hair’s-breadth, and the colours themselves clear and right, as if painted by hand.”2 Sir Matthew Digby Wyatt, who also used the firm, stated that he “used the best means of graphic representation available” when publishing “Industrial Arts of the Nineteenth Century.”3 In addition to Wyatt and Waring, Day & Son also collaborated with renowned architect and designer Owen Jones, and printed his seminal work “The Grammar of Ornament” in 1856.

Full research report available on request.

Full research report available on request.