11645

SET OF SIX NEOCLASSICAL SIDE CHAIRS IN THE MANNER OF FRIEDRICH GOTTLOB HOFFMANN

Possibly Leipzig. Late Eighteenth or Early Nineteenth Century.

Measurements

Width: 18 1/2" (47 cm); Depth: 20" (50.8 cm); Height: 36 1/4" (92 cm); Seat Height: 19" (48 cm).

Research
Of partially gilded Beech wood. Each with a rectangular open back with pierced repeating arch toprail above pierced played central splats centered by a molded composition rosette, above rectangular upholstered seats, the whole raised on channel carved saber legs. Possibly originally painted. 

These chairs relate to the work of celebrated Hoftischler Friedrich Gottlob Hoffman (1741–1806). Hoffman began his career with a carpentry apprenticeship in Belgern, Saxony, and, after the Seven Years’ War, he relocated to the trading city of Leipzig, where he supplied aristocratic and bourgeois clientele with English- and French-influenced neoclassical furniture. There he also formed a partnership with Karl Christian Heinrich Rost, an art and furniture dealer who commissioned numerous pieces.1 Between 1788 and 1795 Hoffmann “supplied furniture to the German courts in Gotha, Weimar, Dresden, Brunswick and Dessau, and to Berlin, Hamburg, Vienna, Constantinople and St. Petersburg.”2

Footnotes:
1. Krull, Kornelia, and Simon Jervis. “FRIEDRICH GOTTLOB HOFFMANN, A LATE EIGHTEENTH-CENTURY LEIPZIG CABINET-MAKER.” Furniture History, vol. 25, 1989, pp. 120–26.
2. Campbell, Gordon. “Hoffman, Friedrich Gottlob.” The Grove Encyclopedia of Decorative Arts. Oxford University Press 2006. 482.

Full research report available on request. 

Full research report available on request.