11119 A GEORGE II CHINESE EXPORT LACQUER SIDE CHAIR OF UNUSUAL FORM BEARING THE CREST OF THE EARLS OF THE EARLS OF GRANARD Chinese. Second Quarter Of The 18th Century. Measurements: Height: 39″(99cm) Width: 25″ (63.5cm) Depth: 23″ (58cm)
Of black lacquer and gilded decoration. The splat formed of a central baluster-shaped section with flanking curved stiles with rounded shoulders and a yoke shaped crest rail. Rectangular upholstered seat raised on s-curved cabriole front legs terminating in scrolled feet, the back legs slightly raked with canted corners and ‘hoof’ shaped feet. Entirely japanned in black and gold, floral decoration on legs and stiles, with more elaborate floral design and an heraldic bear, the crest of the Earls of Granard, at the center of the splat. In unrestored original condition.
The present chair bears an heraldic emblem of a muzzled bear, the crest of the Earls of Granard. The title was first bestowed on Arthur Forbes, 1st Viscount Granard, in 1684. The Earls of Granard were the second largest landowners in County Longford, with 14,978 acres, and their ancestral family seat is Castle Forbes. The family maintained a strong political and military tradition; many of the Earls of Granard held the positions of lieutenant-general in the army and admiral in the Irish navy, in addition to serving in the Irish House of Lords.