11356 A SUPERB BRASS, PEWTER AND TORTOISESHELL BUHL INLAID CIRCULAR TABLE WITH FINELY WORKED GILT BRASS MOUNTS, PROBABLY SUPPLIED BY EDWARD HOLMES BALDOCK TO THE COLLECTION OF THE 2ND EARL DE GREY (1781–1859) OF NEWBY HALL AND WREST PARK English. Early 19th Century. Measurements: Height: 29 1/2″ (74.9 cm): Diameter of top: 20 1/4″ (51.4cm).
Of pewter, brass, tortoiseshell, giltbrass mounts and ebonized mahogany. The circular top inlaid with eight segmented vignettes encased by a ring of floral cast mounts. The base with three ebonized tapering columnar supports headed by giltbrass acanthine capital with gilt brass bases to the lower. The legs united by a center part trilobe inlaid stretcher. The whole raised on giltbrass compressed bun feet below a pewter veneered band. Two small edge mounts replaced. Brass mounts re-lacquered following original finish. Minor repairs.
It seems highly probable that the present table was made as the pair to an example formerly in the collection of the Compton Family at Newby Hall, Yorkshire (figure 1).
This important English stately home was built in 1697 with the assistance of Sir Christopher Wren for Sir Edward Blackett, MP for Ripon.
Full research report available on request.