7003 THE BIBLIOTHÈQUE FROM THE HÔTEL GAULIN, DIJON, ATTRIBUTED TO JÉRÔME MARLET French. Circa 1775. Measurements: Height: 12’ 8″ (3.85m) Length: 22’ 3″ (6.78m) Width: 13’ 1″ (3.99m)
Of parcel-gilt and original white painted decoration. Comprising two bookcase cabinets of breakfront outline, the two double doors with carved paneling and overdoors in frames, the pair of single doors similarly carved with overdoors, a swag carved trumeau flanked by carved pilasters, a rectangular trumeau with dado panel, painted and parcel-gilt volute and rosette carved ceiling cornice, a white marble breakfront fire surround with fluted pilaster supports. Some minor restoration and replacements. For display purposes the room is at present fitted with modern matching French windows and their reveals.
This panelled library, elegantly furnished with vase-capped bookcases and painted white with gilt enrichments, was conceived in the 1770s Louis XVI “Antique” or “Grecian” fashion for the Gonthier d’Anvillars family’s hôtel particulier in Dijon (figure 1). The house, which today stands on the Rue Pasteur, was acquired in 1845 by Auguste Gaulin, the conseiller général in Dijon, but had originally been built for the Gonthier d’Auvillars family in the 1730s. The Gonthiers were a branch of the Auvillars line, an ancient noble family who were prominent in the civic life of Dijon from the 16th century.
Full research report available on request.